Monday, November 24, 2008

At First Glance...........

1 Sam 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.


God had asked Samuel, the prophet to travel to Bethlehem and anoint the one who would be the replacement of Saul, as king over Israel. God had chosen one of the sons of Jesse, and He would reveal to Samuel, which of the sons it was.

As Jesse paraded each of his sons before Samuel, the prophet noted that Eliab was a fine specimen of a man, and assumed that this was the one God had chosen. Yet as we see in this verse, God revealed instead, that the outward appearance does not necessarily determine the right choice.

Lately, I have been given to observe people.....their faces, behaviour patterns, attitudes.

Yesterday as I was walking, I noticed a woman coming toward me. My first impression of her was not encouraging, to say the least. Her eyes reflected either anger or dissatisfaction. She had deep frown lines between her eyebrows and her mouth curled downward. Most people you encounter as you pass each other, will make eye contact in some way, no matter how brief. Yet this woman's eyes though briefly acknowledging that someone was passing her, did not make eye contact with me.

As I said, my first impression of her was rather negative, but as I walked along, I wondered what was going on behind those eyes, beyond the face that practically wore a sign saying, "keep out"! I do not have even the slightest clue what may be going on in this woman's life because I don't see her heart the way God does.

People always tell me that I have a happy, smiling face. Yes, I do indeed smile a lot! Yet my smile sometimes belies the pain I feel within, be it physical or emotional. Only those who know me and are observant can sometimes tell when something is wrong. You see, it reflects in my eyes.

The same applies with behaviour patterns in people. It's so easy to write someone off as not having much value, by judging their behaviour alone. Rather than look at the person behind the behaviour, we tend to label the person in a negative way.

I love reading about the rise of David, from mere shepherd boy to king of Israel. His brothers saw him as being a weakling, too young to handle the responsibility of joining in the fight for freedom from the Philistines. Yet this brave young man defeated a giant, using just a slingshot!

God sees the potential in us, and no matter how the world may view us, we are of the greatest value to Him. He sees what no one else can see.....He sees our tears, He knows our longings and desires, He sees into the deepest recesses of our hearts.

If God can take a humble shepherd boy, and turn him into a mighty king......imagine what He can do with you or I! It doesn't matter if we are not academic scholars, or beauty queens or wealthy tycoons........if we allow God to navigate our lives, the possibilities are endless......and keep in mind....He is the God of the impossible!

If we claim to be followers of Christ, then we have a responsibility to be Christlike in the way we view people. As someone pointed out in a sermon I heard, when Jesus encountered a demon possessed man, He saw beyond the demons.......and saw the hurting man within. This is the pattern every Christian should follow, yet sadly the greatest judgements and condemnation happen in our churches.

What do you see when you look in your mirror? I don't necessarily mean in a physical sense, although that too could be pertinent.......I mean look at yourself with spiritual eyes....what do you see?

This is what God sees........

Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psa 139:15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Psa 139:16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
Psa 139:17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!


Now look at the people around you, especially those who you find to be "difficult" people......God sees them the same way.

3 comments:

Bemused1 said...

Great post Warriorthingy! Lots to think about!

speckles said...

powerful message Pen :)

Penelope A57 said...

Thanks guys! Wow, wonder what God is up to with me...all this observation must be leading to something huh!